Upclose & Personal with Abuja based Top Comedian, Erhirhi Bonnyhills aka "whatarush"


Dr Bonnyhills looks at his wristwatch for the umpteenth time. He doesn’t joke with time. A bright smile, evidently that of a man pleased with life, is still planted on his face. The gate
opens after two more minutes of waiting and we drove into his compound. When we alight from his car – he opens the door and led me to a tastefully furnished living room.


Dr Bonnyhills aka whatarush as he's popularly called, is currently the most popular comedian from Abuja. One could tell from the expensive furniture in his apartment that comedy business has been good and he is obviously laughing to the bank. Although, the process for this interview began in Abuja, Nigeria; it was completed in Lagos while he was en route Abeokuta for a comedy gig – Bonnyhills in this exclusive interview shed light on his passion, love-life and challenges...enjoy



AAP: First of all, why do you choose to based in Abuja knowing fully well, your market is in Lagos?

BONNYHILLS:
I love Abuja and I've got a 15 year plan not to relocate from Abuja and until the 15yrs is past,am not leaving. Also,my brand sells anywhere I find myself..but that doesn't mean I should go to Borno state for now.

AAP: When and how did comedy start for you?

BONNYHILLS:
I began Aug 30th,2004 at Living Faith Church,aka Winners chapel,kubwa,Abuja. There was an alnight prayer called BREAKTHROUGH NIGHT,and I approached one of the pastors to give me few minutes to make people laugh..he agreed only on the condition that if I can't make the audience of close to 2000 laugh in 5mins,he would come up stage and slap me. When I got to the altar,the 5mins turned out to be 17mins of laughter. And so I began..the following week I had 2 weddings and its been going on that way..

AAP: You mind letting us into your love life?

BONNYHILLS:
hmmm,Eleyi gi di gan..[This one is strong]. I've got so many admirers but am in love with just one lady,she's a yoruba from ibadan,the mother of my 2 kids Josiah and Jacinth..am talking about my lovely,holy,romantic,sophisticated, 'digitarized' wife.

AAP: What is comedy to you?

BONNYHILLS:
Comedy is part of my existence..God's grace has brought me this far. He has blessed the work of my hands which is Corporate Mc and Stand up Comedy. All I have can only be traced to being a Comedian. Its my passion and for that I work hard to stay fresh.

AAP: How do you treat your female folks?

BONNYHILLS:
Female folks? Just like Jesus said,"the poor you will always have with you". Same goes to the female fans. We love ourselves. I respect them that they have believe in me. They come around. We interact. We meet at events and after which..."To your tend O Israel".lolz.

AAP: How do you get your inspirations?

BONNYHILLS:
Aside from the Holy Spirit that speaks to me because I engage so much in meditation,I read books, newspapers,browse the internet,listen to News,watch Comedy videos of other comedians, etc..I do my best to stay current with the happenings in country and beyond. I stay fresh with informations around. And because I've got an excellence Spirit,am creative..sometimes I don't know how it flows,but after 10yrs now in this job,I've got so much experiences to work with. And right now I've left the realm of making audience laugh...I make them overwhelmed and excited with my RUSH.

AAP: Your favourite food, drinks and Sports?

BONNYHILLS:
For food,Beans and Ripe plantain are my favourite. I don't do alcohol,I take water and non-alcoholic wines. I love football like King solomon Loved women in the bible. And I stand to be a Manchester United fan for Life especially now that that Igbo guy [David Moyes] has been sacked.

AAP: Most time, you are always on the go, from one event to another, one city to another, how much time do you have for yourself and your family?

BONNYHILLS:
At times its not just easy but when you reason the rate which homes are broken up,you don't need a prophet to tell you that you need to spend time with your family. And if God has blessed you with a Wife like mine,so beauty and unique,you need to spend time with her before she sees another vision.
[What a Rush]
And as for myself..I rest a lot. At least I just got back from the hospital having rested there for 2weeks treating some kind things...lolz.

AAP: Names of Nigeria comedians that inspires you?

BONNYHILLS:
Basket Mouth Inspires me a lot because he's spontaneous. Dr Shogo,wow! He's my mentor and am proud to say it. There are deep secrets he tells me that I can't find in any book on earth. And finally,recently  my very good friend,although a junior to me,but he inspires me like mad when he's with the mic..am talking about Last Prophet of Calabar.

AAP: Final words to your fans and up coming comedian who wanna be like you?

BONNYHILLS:
Let me round up this way...wetin you no be no dey claim am. Stop all this forming and greetings with slang like yup,xup,sup,yap,etc. They don't portray a nice image of you. Stay focus. If possible finish school first before thinking comedy. But if you think education is too expensive,I beg try illiteracy. Let the Lord be your guide. [What a Rush]

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How Ndionyenma Led Thugs to Demolish Millions of Property In Abia Community And What The Police Must do

Project Lead Africa Unveils Theme, Announce 2022 Leadership Excellence And Dignity Awards

Alleged N4.8bn Fraud: Court Adjourns Cletus Ibeto’s Case till Apr 15